SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Vanhoose, Justin: Bucket List


                  Life is natural. Loving your family, friends, and spending time doing the things you love, are all a part of life. However, death is also natural. Even though most of my life will be devoted to study and hard work, there are several daring, interesting, and over achieving things I would like to do before I kick the bucket.  
            I love the smell of burning rubber and the roar of high horsepower engines. The combustible aroma of intoxicating fuel consumption sends me to a happy place. Like many Texans, I am a NASCAR fan. Being able to drive one of those 750 horsepower machines would be a dream come true.
The ocean has always stirred something frightening in me. One of my deepest fears is being overwhelmed by its black waters and lost at sea. One of my ultimate items on my bucket list is to face this fear and dive to the deepest depths of the ocean. There is no telling what kind of mystic beauty I could uncover.
            I have a hidden talent. I can play guitar rather well. I have not however, really shown anybody how well I can truly play. It’s kind of a price that comes with the gift, an uncharacteristic shyness. That is why one day I would like to play in front thousands of people and make music that reminiscences the ghost of my favorite guitarist, Stevie Ray Vaughn.
            One of my most boring and down to earth goals is to earn my doctorate. I don’t want to be a professor. I just like the sound of, “Dr. Vanhoose.” It also sounds pretty intimidating for anybody trying to date my daughter.
            I am a huge tightwad. I don’t like to spend and I hate wasting money on unnecessary affairs. That is why after I retire, I will buy a beach house on the Bahamas and live there with my trophy wife, and a lifetime supply of coconut rum. I figure after all my hard work, I deserve it.
            Living is what we do as humans, but at the end of the day we die. So many people go on living without accomplishing any of their wants in life. I do not want that to happen. I want to go out in style and live a colorful and prosperous life.

No comments:

Post a Comment