SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Burton, Talia: Bucket List


What do you wish to accomplish before you die? Some write about attaining their dream careers, getting married, and having beautiful, dimpled babies. Others write about the things they're afraid to do: skydiving, bungee-jumping, or jumping through a flaming hoop on a motorcycle. My dreams fall somewhere in between, dancing on the line between achievable and impossible. This is my bucket list.
            First on my list is to make a viral video. I'm well aware I'll have no control over what videos go viral on YouTube. But wouldn't it be interesting to be bored one day and say, “Hey, I'm going to make a movie and put it on YouTube.” And then the next day, bam, three million hits, and I'm an Internet sensation. Probably not possible, but definitely intriguing.
            Secondly, I'd like to go to Japan. I'm a huge anime, manga, and video game freak, so it would be amazing to travel there and attend a Japanese anime con, or sing at a karaoke bar. I'd walk around in cosplay—dressing up as anime characters—and be a giddy, geeky American tourist.
            Speaking of anime, the third item on my bucket list is becoming a voice actress. Though I personally don't like to listen to my recorded voice, I would love to dub an anime and see the inside of a recording studio. Then I'd go to cons and chill with Vic Mignogna.
            Although I dislike listening to my own voice, my fourth goal is auditioning for American Idol. I doubt I'd make it to Hollywood, yet alone make it to the auditions at all, but if I did, it would be amazing. I'd pick the most obscure songs to sing, have a good time, and meet Simon, and—wait, Simon doesn't judge for Idol anymore. I suppose I'll have to settle for The Voice and meet Adam Levine instead!
            The fifth, but most important thing on my bucket list is publishing a novel. It's one of my more realistic goals, or at least one I'm willing to drain myself of blood, sweat, and tears for. Every time I go into a bookstore or a library, I read the excerpts on the backs of books and daydream about what my own would say, about how the cover would look, or what my author's description would sound like. Those are superficial things, I know, but that is what separates published novels from my own unwritten manuscripts. I swear, hope, and pray that I'll publish one before the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment