SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Morehead, Lauren: Bucket List


            Whether aware of it or not, all of us have our own bucket lists.  We tuck everything – from lifelong career dreams to thrilling activities – into the crevices of our minds and set space aside for our infinitely expanding “to-do” list. I believe that I could list a thousand things I would like to do before I die, but five that stand out in particular are the following: becoming a physician, learning two languages other than my native one, running a ten kilometer race, conducting scientific research worthy of publishing, and writing a book.
            Ever since I could form a coherent thought, I knew one thing for sure: I wanted to be a doctor.  While I have waffled among various specialties, that goal has never faltered in my mind, even 14 years later. My dream of being in the medical profession leads to my next goal of conducting significant scientific research, hopefully during my undergraduate years.  Doing so would be a large boost to my academic vita as I prepare for medical school.  Another goal on my list that is helpful to me as a burgeoning physician is becoming trilingual.  As the United States becomes increasingly diverse linguistically, I believe that I should as well. 
            While I am academically focused, I am also attempting to improve on the other aspects of my person, physically, in this case. This is why I want to eventually run a ten-kilometer race.  In this case, it is not significant that I win or even place in the race.  The preparation and discipline required is most significant.  My final goal is to write a book of any type.  For this, I have no reason of great profundity; I just think it would be fun to do.  All in all, there are many more things on my “bucket list,” and I am sure that if I set my mind to it, I will complete them all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment