SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mills, Taylor: Bucket List

The bucket list gives us motivation to do even the most simple things in life. We realize that the world has many opportunities. So, we write them all down hoping to fulfill these wishes. Here’s my list:

Master a martial art. There are various reasons people engage in these arts. I seek balance; to develop a great awareness of my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual state. I thank Bruce Lee for influencing my interest in the martial arts, because he had a great sense of individuality. He learned, thought, and taught in his own way and his ways were admirable.

Experience an adventure. The Peace Corps is an ambitious dream of mine. It was initiated by John F. Kennedy to encourage young Americans to perform good deeds in other countries. The program would allow me to engage in community service for two years. The following purposes keep me motivated: a change in how I view the world, a stronger connection with people, and an edge as a potential employee are things I would accept graciously.

Sing the blues like Billie Holiday. It’s a childhood dream to share my musical talents. I have developed a pleasant singing voice and practiced notes on my acoustic guitar and a grand piano. But I won’t share my talents any time soon. I need to finish my academic career.

Inspire others. I want to give inspirational speeches to adolescents. They need someone to make them aware of the good and bad in life. They need to be aware of the themselves individually and collectively. Finally, they need to hope that the consequences of their actions will be beneficial and good.

Most importantly, I want to be happy. I want to love and be loved. Wishing to have inner peace before I kick the can.

No comments:

Post a Comment