SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Johnson, Leah: Bucket List


I never seriously thought about a bucket list because I’m too young to die. But then I got to thinking about my favorite quote: “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” James Dean probably didn’t figure he was going to die at a young age either. Therefore, as I began to think about it I realized there are things I would like to do before I “kicked the bucket.”
            First, I would like to travel to Europe and visit the Louvre and other museums and historical landmarks. I have always enjoyed history and marvel at the amazing feats people achieved when technology was not as advanced as it is today quite fascinating. The artworks that were created in a time period such as the Renaissance are also amazing.
            Second, there is the obvious, go skydiving, but instead of just skydiving I would like to BASE jump. This is where one jumps from the top of a cliff instead of out of a plane.
            Third, I would like to learn how to scuba dive and see some of the coral reefs in the Caribbean. The life under the sea is spectacular and to be up close with it would be thrilling.
            Fourth, something I’ve always wanted to do is learn how to rock climb. Then, with that skill be able to climb mountains such as Mount Everest.
            Last but certainly not least, I want to earn at least one degree. I want to finish my college education and go on to get a master’s degree or even a doctorate. Then, if it’s possible I would like to get another degree in something else such as math or chemistry. To be able to learn something new every day is one of life’s great accomplishments. 
            As you can see my bucket list is neither glamorous nor hard to complete. Hopefully in four years I will be able to check off one of those items.

No comments:

Post a Comment