SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pratt, Rachel: Bucket List


            Growing up, my mom encouraged my sisters and me to watch a myriad of older movies to enhance our culture. Because these movies enticed my hunger for exploration and helped my appreciation the outside world grow, I now have my bucket list: walk the Great Wall of China, visit the Taj Mahal in India, explore the catacombs of Europe, take a tour of Alcatraz, and scuba dive into the depth of the ocean.
            I view my bucket list as a tour of the world. Therefore I plan to start my journey around the world in China. The Great Wall has always called to me ever since I learned of its existence. This wall was built in seventh century BC and is over 13,000 miles long. How can a wall of this magnitude still be around today in working condition? I don’t have the answer, but I plan to go bask in awe at the sight.
            Next on the list is one country over, in India. This mausoleum was constructed in the mid-1600 and took about twenty years to complete. The Taj Mahal has a love story tied to it that appeals to my pathos. The emperor’s, of the time, grief for his wife, that died in child labor, was the inspiration for its construction.
            I now move to the catacombs in Europe, specifically the ones in Rome and Paris. These were built underground for religious purposes. They attained their name from the Latin phrase “cata tumbas” meaning “among the tombs.” Also the apostles Paul and Peter are rumored to be buried somewhere in the labyrinth of tunnels.
            Fourth on my list is a tour of Alcatraz. I plan to visit this old prison before they close it down permanently. The ghost stories that are tied to this place mesmerize me. Unnatural occurrences that can’t be explained intrigue me beyond belief.
            Last, but not least, I am going to scuba dive into the depths of the ocean. This will ensure that I get to explore every inch of the world and not miss one wonder out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment