SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shakya, Subir: Bucket List


Love, money and power are not the only things that make you happy. Achieving the things you have wanted to do all your life is equally necessary to live your life to the fullest. This is what I believe everyone should do. There are a lot of things I want to do before I kick the bucket. A few of them are as bizarre as they sound.

Firstly, coming from the country with the highest mountains in the world, I feel ashamed to say that I haven’t climbed Mt. Everest. But having trekked to 14000 ft, I know it’s hard to go any further. In spite of this, one of the things I want to do is climb at least one of the 8 highest peaks in Nepal. Keeping with this geographic topic, the second thing I would like to do is to set foot on each continent including Antarctica. Observing and honoring the world’s geographical diversity has always been a passion of mine.

I am a biological science major and like any biologist I dream to find and name a new species. Taking this to extremes, I want to prove the existence of the Bigfoot or the Yeti. I know they exist, they are just well hidden and I will be the one to find them. 

It’s a shame there is no Nobel Prize in Biology; that would have been a good one for the bucket list. Any other Nobel Prize should be of equal worth so getting one is on top priority in my things to-do list.

Finally the last and perhaps the most difficult thing I want to accomplish is to meet my Doppelganger. This will be a very special day, to meet someone who looks like me but is the exact opposite of me. I will learn a lot about myself when I meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment