SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Parks, Caleb: Bucket List


Although I hope that I will not die soon, I think about things to do before it is too late. Visiting Alaska and learning to surf are two things I wish to accomplish before I die.

I have always believed Alaska to be a fascinating place. The unique combination of natural surroundings, beautiful rivers, tall mountains, and distinct wildlife that I have seen on television seem to be a view of America when it was natural – before settlers began to alter the landscape. Furthermore, the fishing and hunting opportunities are great in Alaska. I spent my childhood in the country near other fishers and hunters. Although I do not enjoy fishing as much as hunting, I find the concept of ice fishing exciting; imagine cutting a hole into the ice to fish! Moose hunting in Alaska has also thrilled me for a time. The challenge in learning an animal's habits then exploiting those habits to stalk and kill it. The meat is another pleasant reward – a friend told me that moose meat is delicious.

Although I generally avoid beaches, I have always envied skilled surfers. I have been to the beach four times and after each visit, I yearned for the ability to surf more and more. I was so close to many surfers, yet never had the opportunity to “ride the waves.” The movie, Soul Surfer, made me appreciate the sport even more. I saw some of the different tricks that surfers can perform. Tricks I would like to learn include the Tube Ride where a surfer maneuvers him or herself into a wave as it breaks over his or her head and the “360” where a surfer gains altitude then spins in a full circle. Another reason for my surfing fascination is my interest in skateboarding; however, the potential for severe pain and broken bones prevents me from skateboarding well.

I know that these are not my only bucket list items, but they are the main ones. I don't want to die without experiencing Alaska and surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment