SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Phillips, Courtney: Bucket List


Every person on Earth has a list of activities or goals they wish to accomplish before they die whether they write it down officially or not, a “bucket list”, so to speak. My personal list does not include all of the outlandish, cliché bucket list items such as skydiving, bungee jumping, or going to some tropical island. My list consists of more simple tasks that many people deem unimportant and has no particular order.

One of the items on my list is to attend the Vans Warped Tour. I am a huge music fan, mostly of the alternative rock genre. The Vans Warped Tour always headlines my favorite bands, not to mention the carnival-like atmosphere and the slew of interesting people. Because of my love for music, another item on my list is to learn to play the piano or the guitar, preferably both. I was taught to play the French horn in the school band, but it really isn’t an instrument one can just pick up and play for fun. Although I am an engineering/physics major, I would eventually like to become an architect. The whole idea and art of the field intrigues me. It would be my dream come to true to one day be able to walk into a building that I designed. The last item on my list is to travel the world. Arkansas is a beautiful place, but there is so much out there that I have yet to discover. I would love to experience new cultures and observe the way other nations live.

Leo Tolstoy wrote in his novel Family Happiness, “I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love. I felt in myself a superabundance of energy which found no outlet in our quiet life.” This declaration describes exactly how I feel about life. I may not know exactly what I want to do my life, but I definitely do not want to waste a second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment