SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Haydel, Emily: Bucket List

When I first heard the term "bucket list," I was clueless as to what it meant.  My dad explained to me that a bucket list was a list of things you wanted to do before you died.  Three things that I want to do are:  learn how to hula dance, sing in a Christian band, and learn to play an acoustic guitar.

         
The art of interpretive dance has always interested me.  Hula dancing incorporates complex hand motions, specific movements of the feet, costumes, and instruments to tell myths, legends, and prayers.  Hula dancing is much more than what people generally envision.  It can be fast or slow, and it is performed by both genders, not just girls swaying in grass skirts.  Hula dancing is a beautiful way to express oneself.

        
I love to sing, and I enjoy using my voice to praise God. To be part of a praise band would be an extraordinary experience. Being part of a band would be more meaningful to me than singing alone, especially if the band were leading others in praise. Also, when you sing on your own it is much easier to mess up, but when you sing with a band the other band members are there to back you up.

         
I love making music with my voice, but I also enjoy making music with instruments.  I want to play the guitar because it is a popular instrument in modern music.  Also, guitars are portable and easy to harmonize with. Playing guitar would allow me to do one of the two things I enjoy most, express myself through music.  Singing is fun, but it is much more fun to sing and be accompanied by an instrument. A musical accompaniment not only enhances my sound, but it also reduces my mistakes and helped me remember where each verse is.

         
I believe that my bucket list is perfect for me. It is not filled with unobtainable goals. Also, it contains things that are compatible with my God-given talents, making it easier to fulfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment