SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Marsh, Tymia: Bucket List


          On the very first day of my Honors Seminar class, my professor looked at me and asked, “What is the number one thing on your bucket list?” This question caught me by surprise because before that moment I had never really considered my lifetime as a whole, let alone the most important thing for me to accomplish during it. After about a minute or so, I answered, “The number one thing on my bucket list is to go skydiving.” I’m aware that, at the surface, my answer may come off a bit thoughtless and ambitionless, but for me, personally, there is plenty of meaning behind it.

            The most popular things on people’s bucket lists are to become rich, to travel the world, or to get married. These things all share one common factor: they illustrate different viewpoints of success. Career wise, I will view myself as successful once I am a practicing dermatologist. Being that I struggled with my skin for years, I’m aware of how influential its condition can be on a person’s self-esteem, and I’d like to be able to make a difference in someone’s life one patient at a time. When it comes to my life overall, however, I am successful once I have conquered my fears.

            I feared college, but I am doing well. I feared living 18 hours away from my family, but I am making it. I still fear heights. I still fear danger. I still fear things that are out of my control. This is why skydiving is number one on my list. I want the liberating feeling that comes with conquering the natural fears. Life, in my perspective, is about taking chances. I wouldn’t be here at Southern Arkansas now if it wasn’t for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment