SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, October 13, 2024

Bucket List Cynthia Lopez

Since I was in middle school, I never truly had the idea of making it to my 18th birthday or college. As the years went by, not once did I ever think about making it to college. I found tennis and started playing when I started high school, I did play on and off as I did struggle with a weak mentality and couldn’t handle the pressure sometimes. 

When I got to my senior year, we had the opportunity to watch live professional tennis matches at a country club in Houston. When we got there my favorite tennis player, Ben Shelton, was already playing and I was amazed on how tall he was, his ability to keep up with his opponent, and how skilled of a player he was. When he was done playing, he and his opponent had to walk back to his building to rest. The crowd and I were waiting outside trying to take pictures and autographs. I managed to get a picture with him and it is in my room, framed. After that day of watching live tennis matches, I told myself that I wanted to keep doing that. 

I plan to travel abroad sometime during the summer 2026 when they begin hosting the ATP tours, but I will at least ONE time be able to attend any US Open matches. I plan on playing tennis and to play in UTR tournaments when I go back home during the winter. Since seeing those live tennis matches, I want to continue playing and enjoy the game. After seeing players interviewed and how they talk about the feeling of playing the game, I want to be able to also experience that.

No comments:

Post a Comment