SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Monday, October 14, 2024

Bucket List Erica Zofcin

Ever since I could hold a pencil, I have made it my mission to put it to paper. Growing up, I drew and wrote practically nonstop, filling notebook after notebook with all manner of characters and creatures, dotting assignments with haphazard doodles, and scribbling barely coherent notes on the backs of printer paper. 

I enjoyed learning. I enjoyed science and history and math (sometimes, anyway). I enjoyed reading, and writing, and many times I felt as if I was the only one who did (in a sea of students complaining about essays and English homework). 

As I got older, I put my creativity to use: I wrote award winning poetry, had my art published in books, and won awards for acting and design. I even won first in state for my set design in UIL Theatrical Design last year. The feeling of accomplishment and pride is one that I will never forget. 

I have always wanted to create. It is a passion that has shaped every decision I have ever made. Now I even get paid for it (only occasionally; I have to eat somehow), but I still create purely for fun as well. I’m currently writing a book, which I hope to eventually publish. 

My goal, not only as a writer and an artist, but also as a person, is to make a mark. I want to do something valuable with my time, my talent, and with my skills that I have worked hard to hone. I would like to do at least one great thing, something that has a lasting impact on the world. My hope is that college will help me do that, which is why I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment