SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Monday, October 14, 2024

Bucket List Carter Wall

 

The main goal on my bucket list is to attend and attempt to understand all 9th (and part of the 10th, as I believe it is unfinished) of Gustav Mahler's symphonic works. So far, I have seen his 7th symphony in Fort Worth, and his 5th symphony, which I believe is his greatest, in Dallas. In March 2025, I am going back to DFW to attend the 9th. For a young and aspiring musician, I believe his work is the best thing humanity could've possibly come up with, and I believe attending these concerts will greatly benefit my understanding of music in general, how it is created, how to create it, and how to perform it the way Mahler intended in the future. 
 
      The proper way of performing Mahler leads me to my next goal, which is to be able to perform at least one of his works in a concert, a professional setting, whether it be in a symphony orchestra in the US, or abroad. For me, this will be the most difficult objective on my bucket list, if not the most difficult achievement for me in life. As a horn player, the market for my area of expertise is limited to the extremely talented and is oversaturated. Both will keep on getting smaller as classical music continues its declining demand. 
 
      My final objective unsurprisingly involves music, as I also want to make it possible for me to become a successful piano player, and whether it be in a jazz or classical setting, play in a professional ensemble. 
 
      My love for Mahler's work fuels my drive to become extremely good in both french horn and piano, so I can achieve everything I want from life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment