SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Monday, September 25, 2023

Bucket List: Gibson Dyess

 I intend to eventually graduate Southern Arkansas University with a four-year degree in my major, which is Biology (Pre-Med). However, while I am here, I want to increase my experience and strengthen my resume through shadowing hours, the SAU Pre-Health Club, and through my professors. This would give me a higher probability of getting accepted into graduate school. I do not know exactly what I want my career to be. I am currently contemplating whether to be a P.A. (Physician’s Assistant) or to go further, enter med school, and become a pediatric doctor. 

Over the summer, I plan to work at a Christian summer camp called “Camp Deer Run.” I have gone there as a camper every summer since I was around 5 years old; now my turn to share about Jesus to a new generation of kids and teens who want to learn about Christ. It would not only allow me to do the work of God and spread the Good News, but it would also allow me to meet people with a similar major to me at a different school, allowing me to expand my horizons in my field. However, it would also give me experience in taking care of kids. 

Although a summer camp southeast of Winnsboro, Texas is nowhere close to the same environment as a pediatric clinic, I believe it is still a great way to get experience in taking care of kids. I hope I can stay healthy and hungry for knowledge during my tenure at SAU, so that I can achieve all of the goals listed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment