SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Eppinette, Ryan: Bucket List


When I was asked to write about my bucket list—the things I want to do before I pass away—a deluge of ideas seemed to flood my mind. Of course, I would like to travel the world, win the lottery, and join a famous rock band. However, the more I thought about my ambitions, the more I realized that those would only provide a fleeting sense of accomplishment. My thoughts turned to more important things. Instead of short-term thrills, the top items on my bucket list will allow me to enjoy long-term gratification.

            First, I want to have a fulfilling career that will enable me to make a positive contribution to society. I hope that it will allow me to give something back to my community before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Albert Pike said, “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Accomplishing this goal would give me a lifelong sense of satisfaction.

            After securing a gratifying job, I hope to have a loving family with whom to share my accomplishments. I feel strongly that to fully enjoy a happy life, I need people with whom to share it. I will take great pride in providing my children with the opportunity to be successful themselves.

            In the long run, it does not matter if I ever shake hands with the President, visit the Bahamas, or base jump from the Empire State Building. Those things would be thrilling and I hope to do them someday, but the goals on my bucket list will provide more than a temporary adrenaline rush. They will provide a lasting sense of a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment