SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Brakebill, Cobyn: Bucket List

-->
            “Life is long, and you are young...”
-      Pink Floyd, “Time
 from the “Dark Side of the Moon” album

            Life truly is a terrible thing to waste, as short as it can be. We rush through it, trying to do the best we can, unaware of the opportunities all around us to enjoy ourselves. The best way to solve this issue, it seems, is to make a list of everything you'd like to do before life passes you by. My list is very different, as I too am very different from others.

            The first item on my list is a trip to Switzerland. I have a few reasons for choosing Switzerland, as it is one of the most unique countries in Europe, it's the birthplace of my ancestors bearing my surname, and it contains various climates in a small space that allow for various vacation activities including skiing, zip-lining across canyons, and much more.

            Traveling would take up a large section of my bucket list. I would like to visit Ireland and the United Kingdom, specifically Wales, Scotland and the English countryside. My heritage and musical tastes play the largest part of this interest, as my mother's side of the family came from these areas. The many bands I enjoy such as The Beatles, The Who, Dire Straits, U2, and Pink Floyd all started here. I would like to see the film set locations of Star Wars in Tunisia, and Lord of the Rings in New Zealand, as well.

            There are many places I'd like to go and many thing I'd like to do, but I cannot list them all. I find, however, that if you don't act on something as soon as it's available, or forget to prioritize it, you might as well forget about doing it. As a former sociology professor of mine once told my class, “Go for the gusto, because if you don't, someone else will.” We're only given one life, so make every second worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment