SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hathcock, Hannah: Bucket List


People always say, “Life is short, so make the most of it.” I never realized how short life actually is until last year when my mom unexpectedly passed away. She was only 44 years old. The sudden loss of my mother at such a young age has made me want to live my life to the fullest. To help keep track of my life goals I have created a “bucket list” for myself. My real bucket list is quite long, but for the sake of everyone’s time, I will narrow it down to the most important items.

            As an aspiring art major, I want to complete the Studio Art track at Southern Arkansas University and then pass the certification for teaching. However, my first choice in the career field will be working for an art-related company. If this does not work, I will have the teaching certificate to fall back on. If fate has it that I become a teacher, I will further my education to become an art professor. After this I will hope to find a job with the Arkansas Razorbacks, simply because my mother was an over-the-top Razorback fan and I want to honor her memory. Achieving this goal will also make me extremely happy and proud of myself, along with knowing my mom would be proud of me. 

            On a different note, another item on my bucket list is to vacation in Cozumel, Mexico. Cozumel is known for its awe inspiring underwater reefs which I would like to scuba dive. Of course, I would have to first learn how to scuba dive. I plan to dive only after I master the skill and trust myself enough to not let this bucket list goal be my last. While I explore the marvelous reefs of Cozumel I plan to take as many underwater pictures as possible, as I have a thing for photographing nature. Like my aspiration to work in the artistic side of industry, or become an art professor, this goal of exploring Cozumel’s beauty is for my profound interest in nature. Accomplishing both goals would make my mom proud, which helps push me to make my dreams reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment