SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Jorgensen, Renee: Bucket List


Unlike most, my “dreams” in life are always reachable. I set goals that I know I can accomplish. Therefore, to me the concept of a “Bucket List” seems to go against my personal outlook. I believe many bucket lists are extravagant sets of dreams rather than goals. However, I also realize that others choose reasonable lists that satisfy their wants in life. Regardless of my own views on the subject, and because I do believe that anything can happen if you put your mind to it, I’ve kept an open mind when considering my own list.

            Number one on my list is to conduct a world-renowned symphony orchestra. Because my passion is music, I want to devote my life to it through teaching and performing. The highest honor I could be given is to conduct a top-grade symphony orchestra. As a performer, being offered a position in any professional symphony would also be an incredible privilege to add to my list.

            A very stereotypical item on my bucket list is a trip to Hawaii. Everyone deserves an exotic trip at least once in their lifetime. I chose Hawaii as my destination because the water is such a beautiful clear blue. I can watch out for sharks!

            Also on my list are a reunion with my four best friends from high school on my 90th birthday, witnessing the birth of a great grandchild, and living my life to the absolute fullest. In other words, I want to die a happy, loved, family-oriented woman with pride on my shoulders and love in my heart.

            Extravagance has never been my life’s focus. I’ve always reached for the reachable. But the dreams I have for my future – set out in this list – are worth a shot. My bucket list is a list of goals, plans, and hopes for who I will be and how I will be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment