SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Hampton, Logan: Bucket List


     While most people would want to do the stereotypical last minute adventures of sky diving or bungee jumping, my bucket list is comprised of several tasks in the field of the fine arts. For example, there are several pieces of musical literature I wish to perform before death closes the curtains on me. Among these pieces are Claude Smith’s Fantasia for Alto Saxophone, Debussy’s Clair de Lune, and Gordon Goodwin’s Attack of the Killer Tomato. Also in the field of literature, I have always wanted to read James Joyce’s Ulysses and Ayn Rand’s And Atlas Shrugged

     Now, leaning towards the more stereotypical side of these bucket lists, I have always wanted to take part in Holi, the Indian festival of color, as well as visiting the Sedlec Ossuary in the Czech Republic. Another stereotypical desire people have before they die is to have learned another language. My language of choice is either Russian, Italian, or Latin. While there are few conventional applications for these languages in the United States, these languages have piqued my interest for some time. I would also like to meet and have a meaningful conversation with a great thinker of my time, no one in particular, but a modern equivalent of Einstein, Hawking, or Freud would more than satisfy my request. 

    I have no urge to jump off of a perfectly good bridge or out of a perfectly functional plane just to say that I could, like many people say they want to do. I derive satisfaction from the simple joys of reading a book, playing a piece of music, and experiencing the cultures of others. There are many other less significant things I wish to accomplish on my proverbial bucket list, but these are the things that are most important to me and the things that I will do anything to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment