SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Bucket List Eliza Taylor

 

As a college student, my goal is to earn an undergraduate degree in biology pre-health within three years. I’ve been committed to this objective since early high school, and I’m excited to push myself to achieve it!  After my time at Southern Arkansas University, I aspire to become a dentist and eventually an orthodontist. Since I can remember, my dream has been to work in the dental field. In kindergarten, when classmates were apprehensive about having their teeth pulled, but wanted a visit from the tooth fairy, they would come to me for reassurance. I would explain how it wasn’t painful, and they often asked me to pull their teeth because I seemed “so experienced”. Looking back, it’s amusing, but those moments ignited my initial interest in dentistry.

 

Another goal I aim to achieve is becoming bilingual or even trilingual. I want to learn Spanish and other languages to better connect with people from diverse cultures. Traveling the world is a priority for me, and being able to communicate with locals is a crucial part of the experience. I wish to visit Greece and Rome for pleasure, while also exploring developing countries for service opportunities.


 A significant reason I want to become a dentist is to serve others. After obtaining my credentials, I plan to travel to countries such as Honduras or Haiti to use my skills to assist those in need. Dental issues are prevalent in these areas. By being fluent in their languages and equipped with the necessary skills, I believe I can make a meaningful difference in their lives. Positively impacting others while making a difference is the top item on my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment