SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Bucket List: Jyriah Brown

 

Life for me has been mostly bland and unsurprising with only occasional excitement. My personality and fears are partially the cause of this. For example, I am afraid of heights, so I rarely fly or go on rollercoaster rides. My other subconscious fears have held me back from similar experiences. But coming to college has made me realize that it is time to try new things and expand my horizons; I think a bucket list is the perfect way to start.

            The first item on my list is to become a crime scene investigator. The solving of murders and other crimes has always fascinated me since childhood and has led me to believe that helping to solve crimes is something I was meant to do in life. Once I set my mind to do something, I plan to finish it.

            Traveling to see the Frida Kahlo museum in Mexico is next on my bucket list. Frida Kahlo was a Mexican artist, feminist, and a truly unique person. She paved the way for many female artists and threw out gender expectations. She made women unapologetic about being themselves and about working in male dominated arenas in life.

            Despite my inability to swim and my lack of balance, I have always wanted to learn how to surf. Born in a summer month I naturally gravitated towards to beaches and oceans. I have ridden on a glass boat, driven a jet ski, and even petted whales and seals. Yet I have somehow never learned how to surf.

            There is more on my bucket list. But if shared it would be never-ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment