SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Bucket List: Julia Gallagher

 

            Prior to this class, I had never formally written a bucket list. My mindset was that whatever I had the time to accomplish in my life was what I was meant to do, regardless of what my goals were. For me, a bucket list is an enumeration of hopes rather than a to do list with an expiration date.

            One of my more traditional goals for this life is to choose a career that aids people, rather than preying on them, and at the same time giving back to my community. In the words of Morrie Schwartz of Tuesdays With Morrie, “devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”

I aspire to become a nurse or doctor because of my love for helping others and because I enjoy knowing that my work matters to people. The financial stability of those professions would allow me to give back to my community with money too. 

For my personal satisfaction, though, I want to revisit my childhood memories by traveling to Seoul and Phuket.  I would like to see modern Myeongdong as well as my childhood vacation spots in Thailand.  Aside from travel, I aspire to achieve higher degrees of mastery in some of my current hobbies—such as piano playing, cooking, sewing, and art—not only for my personal enjoyment, but also as a way of finding meaning in my life. 

            While life can be tumultuous and difficult to traverse, I would like to think that I could always find a way to make these things work, regardless of my situation. If nothing else, I hope for peace.

1 comment: