SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Friday, August 14, 2020

Bucket List: Maitlyn Harrison

 

The majority of people do not understand, value, and protect the freedom they are given when they have life. No one realizes they are living until life and all its individuality is stripped from them. But what is life essentially? At its core, I believe life is our moments of happiness, our inherent and subconscious desires to be good, do good, and live well. Life is goodness- fragile, puzzling, and entirely incomprehensible. I believe that is why bucket lists are so rare. Life is close to impossible to frame into a manageable understanding, yet fearsome to begin to dissect.

But to live, whether it is our first chance or second opportunity, people must start at some imagined moment of happiness. In my life, I ultimately want to become an author, but to succeed I have preliminary goals in mind. Firstly, I’m striving to complete a Bachelor’s degree in English. That goal is self-explanatory, but to achieve it I want to write as much as possible so as to expose my talent and sharpen my craft. Because of this, I look forward to enrolling in writing classes soon.

 I will enter more writing and poetry competitions. I have done so in the past, but the more I entered them, the more excited I became about pitting my work against peers and other aspiring artists. Writing is a challenge and sport for me, because it’s something I love, but the reward of simply creating makes it all worth it even if I don’t win. It gives me an insight to improve, and I know no matter what my goals are, our bucket lists are reminders for our own improvement and betterment of life, to bring ourselves good. We must be reminded of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment