SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Bucket List: Jada Lloyd

 

As I began my high school career, little did I know what awaited me at the end of my senior year. Months later, I realized that my high school career had swept by in a blink of an eye. Paradoxically, the devastating pandemic has been the most humbling, revolutionizing, and illuminating experience of my life. It taught me valuable lessons that opened my eyes to the small matters that one often missed. Most importantly, it taught me that shared moments with others may be brief and not guaranteed. Before, my bucket list consisted of the usual exciting activities such as skydiving, parachuting, and scuba diving. But, the pandemic demonstrated the importance of community support and giving back to the organizations that assisted me in achieving my goals.  

My mother, a registered nurse, and the deeply moving passing of a childhood friend from a cancerous brain tumor, inspired me to enter the medical field. Consequently, my first priority on my bucket list is to get accepted into nursing school. Upon receiving my bachelor's degree of nursing, I aspire to obtain an internship at St. Jude’s Hospital assisting medical professionals in childcare. My next wish is to get accepted into a Family Nurse Practitioner graduate program. Afterward, my next goal is to work in my underserved community by changing one life at time and promoting community activeness and awareness.  

As I began my next chapter in life, my overall goal for my bucket list is to dedicate each day to serve an individual in my community. While times may be unprecedented and the spread of the virus sporadic, the moments shared with people can change them for a lifetime. Covid-19 may have impeded my senior traditions and even my initial bucket list, but it instilled in me a passion for underserved communities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment