SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Harwood, Kala: Credentialing


            I thought the article was different yet spoke to colleges in America. In China, in the 19th century, it was very expensive to get an education, but people found a way to prevail anyway. In America getting a degree is also very expensive, but help from the government is readily available. When too many people were succeeding in China the government decided to make the test harder. Today, in the United States if too many people are applying for a position, or a college, the people in charge will make the requirements tougher. This is not to say that the United States is discouraging people from getting degrees they just want people to work for it.
            If I did not graduate from college I would probably be doomed to a fast food job for the rest of my life. I would make minimum wage and always struggle to have things. I would not be able to have the life I have always imagined for myself. Without a college degree I would probably be forced to move to a bigger town in order to be able to find a job.  I am not saying that people can’t get good jobs without a college degree. It is just getting harder to achieve a high paying job without a college degree. Also, I come from a very small town where jobs are hard to come by so it is almost necessary to go straight to college after high school, for women at least. I believe that it is easier for men to get high paying jobs without a college degree. Where I’m from instead of going to college, men usually go off to work on the pipeline or on an oil rig. Those are usually hard labor jobs, therefore, not ideal for women.
            I don’t feel like I am being forced to be credentialed. I have chosen to come to college so I can get a degree. With a degree I can make good money, even in my small town. I will be able to make a good life for myself and not have to live paycheck to paycheck. In American society today people are not forced to be credentialed, but most would be better off with a college degree. There are some good jobs that can be had without college degrees, but good jobs are much easier to come by with a degree.
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment