SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Buchanan, Katie: Credentialing

According to the essay "Death by Degrees" credentialing has become a major factor in the lives of most Americans. It has come to the point where most jobs require prospective employees to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree, many of these jobs prefer a master's degree or beyond. Thinking of this, I have to stop and assess how my future career will play out if I continue my education past an undergraduate degree. I also must consider how society perceives people who possess credentials.

 With the field of study I intend to pursue, obtaining a degree higher than a bachelor's degree isn't necessary. I am pursuing a major in mathematics with a minor in education. But, I do not intend to stop my education there. I want to earn my master's degree in teaching as well.  My desire to obtain a master's degree in based on two facts. One is that having a master's degree will make me more employable, as suggested by this essay. The other reason is because with a master's degree I can teach courses for concurrent credit at a high school. That would help my students by reducing their number of hours they must take in college. Being able to provide such a service to students would give them an incentive to take my class.

At one point, it was very rare for a person to even have an undergraduate degree. People who stuck it through college and earned a bachelor's were considered credentialed. People who went even farther in schooling were rare because that route was only required for doctors and lawyers. Nowadays, obtaining a bachelor's degree is almost expected of all students. Anything beyond that is considered credentials. I know in my case going to graduate school seemed guaranteed. There was no "if I go" it was "when I go" to graduate school. My parents told me to save my extra scholarship money for graduate school before I ever really understood the meaning of it and decided that I wanted to go. Continuing one's education is almost expected in today's society. 

For me, becoming credentialed is a given. It will help me gain respect from my peers in today's society. It will also help me have an advantage in one day obtaining a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment