SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and is retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Boyter, Lauren: Credentialing


            Education is viewed as a key part of the lives of Americans.  Children are placed in school early on and are usually expected to stay enrolled until they have earned a college degree.  Without a college degree in this day and time adequate jobs are few and far between.  Personally, if I were unable to attend college, I would be faced with a grim outlook as far as occupations go.
            Receiving a college education has become more crucial than ever.  Today, it is hard to find a decent job without some kind of degree.  As stated in “Death by Degrees,” even the presidential cabinet is composed of a majority of people who have obtained an education from an Ivy League school.  Unless a person wants to work in the restaurant or cleaning business, most other fields of work require a college degree.  Because of this accreditation requirement, many people are unable to obtain a decent job.  It has become increasingly harder for certain groups of people to continue their education because of their circumstances.  Single parents and older people often have a harder time getting a degree because the odds are against them.  It is hard for a single parent to concentrate on school work while raising a child.  Older people have generally been out of school for such a long period of time that it hard for them to get back “into the swing of things.” 
            Relating to me, college is definitely an important part of my life.  Without going to college, I would be unable to fulfill my dreams of becoming a nurse.  Because my ambition requires a higher-level education, I am being forced to go to college (not that it’s a bad experience).  Had I been unable to attend college, my future would be grim.  I feel as though I would not live as happy of a life as I plan to because I would not be doing what I believe I will enjoy.
            After reading “Death by Degrees,” I am more able to comprehend the importance of a college education.  A lack of college education can lead to inferior jobs.  Even a bachelor’s degree may eventually become a bare necessity.  Although college may be trying, it is important to the future because one day, a degree may be a requirement for every job.  Credential requirements for all jobs are not good because the value of college degrees will quickly diminish upon implementation of this prerequisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment