SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Monday, December 12, 2022

Bucket List: Andrew Wood


For my bucket list, I don’t really have anything short-term because I see my life moving
too quickly to focus on the “Now.” In just 2 years I’ll graduate. In just 2 ½ years, I’ll be working
what I hope to be a fairly stable job. In about 3-5 years, I hope to be married, and all of these
hopefully combine to my happiness.


Getting good grades is something I always strived for in high school. I tried making as
high of grades as I possibly could to get into college, but now that I’m here, I realized that I still want to make good grades. Not just because of something like honors college, but because I
want to truly live to the best of my abilities, and doing that for me means to get A’s and B’s in
college.


My future job is something I fantasize a lot about. I hope to be making at least $70,000
when leaving college, and hopefully working my way up to the $100,000+ range. Making money
to me means that I have shown I can succeed in something and I put in a tremendous amount
of work, corresponding to my pay. I want to show myself I can do it, and the best measurement I can personally make for myself is the compensation I can get for the work I put in.


Marriage has always been something I’ve looked forward to. I want the love of my life to
show up one day dressed in all white and have that magical moment in front of our families. I
plan to wait until I am in a stable economic situation before doing it, but either way it pushes me to want to be great. Being great for yourself is one thing, but when you’re doing it for someone
else makes a major difference in my opinion.


Being happy is a hard thing to put on my bucket list because it’s not just a basic
happiness. I have happiness every day, but once my life has been put into motion, I have a
high-paying job, I have a wife, hopefully a kid, and I see myself as truly “Making it”, then I think I can finally say I am content and I will not just have momentary happiness, but I will be truly
happy.


At some point in my life, I want to go to graduate school. I’ve considered doing it right
after my undergraduate. I’ve also considered doing it as soon as I get my first job. But right now, I am most likely going to do it when I have been working for around 3 years. At that point,
adding a masters degree seems the most beneficial, and it doesn’t cut into my time as a new starter to the industry.


Overall, these are my goals. Going skydiving or having a fridge full of gatorade don’t
really appeal to me, but the constant thoughts on how to become the best me I can be for both
myself and my future family stand firm as the main, and only, things I can really say speak to me for a bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment