SAU Honors College

The SAU Honors College was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Rankin, president of SAU. Dr. Lynne Belcher served as founding director and recently retired from SAU. The Honors College seeks and admits qualified students who seek to pursue a serious academic program with equally gifted peers and committed teachers. Honors classes are small and provide academically enriching opportunities for students and the faculty who teach them. Currently, SAU enrolls nearly 170 honors students and graduates about 66% of admitees in four years or less. Anyone interested in applying to the Honors College or seeking further information should contact the director, Dr. Edward P. Kardas at epkardas@saumag.edu or at 870 904-8897.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Nash Visits Cameroon

Laura Nash


We had adventures trying to retrieve our money transfers from the banks. The roads were very rough and had seemingly chaotic drivers everywhere. I had the pleasure of tasting some foods outside of my comfort zone: pangolin, porcupine, and goat!

I visited a small scale and a large-scale palm tree plantation and observed their different practices. I visited a research facility which had 5 different departments of study. The entomology sector had over 10,000 insects native to Cameroon encased. All soil testing for Cameroon, and several other parts of the continent, occurs at the IRAD facility.

At the rubber tree plantation, Hevecam, we observed the entire process from seeding to shipment all in one place. They were an Indian owned company whose practices were very good for sustainability. They had 33 schools on their land and housing for employees and much more. I also visited the Cameroon Department of Agriculture, where we learned their objectives and goals for their country as well as how to achieve they plan to achieve them. I traveled to 2 villages to pass out medical supplies and school supplies.

My group also paid for workers to come and fix the wells so that the people had easier access to cleaner water. I took my baths with boiled water mixed in another bucket that had cold water. I visited the ocean in Kribi for a night and it was beautiful! I sang and danced with the locals and just got a true experience of their culture. It was such an amazing trip and I would love the opportunity to go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment