Honors College Report
September 28, 2011
iPads Arrive!: Gave out 63 iPads today. Their delivery should lead to many interesting changes in how I teach the Honors Seminar. We will also monitor how they use their iPads as academic tools in other classes.
Activities and News:
- Dustin McDaniel spoke to an overflow crowd at the annual Matriculation Ceremony last Sunday night. He gave a well-received speech on the value of education in today's increasingly competitive world. His speech was followed by a reception in the Reynolds 2nd floor Atrium.
- The Honors College participated in the annual bed race and won a prize for creative decoration. Their float bore the title Freak Show.
- The Honors College will take a full busload of students to see the Chinese Acrobats at the Perot Theatre in Texarkana on Tuesday, October 11. Riders filled the bus within hours of receiving their e-mail invitations
- Deborah Wilson and Edward Kardas have analyzed their latest data looking at first-semester non-cognitive performance of honors and non-honors students from last year. They will present those data in Phoenix in October at the annual meeting of the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC).
- Edward Kardas, Suraj Manandhar, and Deborah Wilson will conduct a panel discussion at NCHC on the deployment and use of iPads in honors.